Sunday, June 14, 2009

Out here in Montana

LOCALS SHOULD BE PROUD
Written by Virgina S. Little, PhD., Technology and Education, Learning and Change in Human Systems

Hello Readers:

I’m a gal from Kalamazoo, Michigan; Yes, there really is such a place. If you’re old enough you may recall the Glen Miller song, “I Got a Gal in Kalamazoo-zoo-zoo-zoo-zoo”.

Slightly over a month ago I moved to Shepherd, Montana with my two horses and my little fox terrier. I’ve always loved the West and have previously lived in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and California.

Every morning I sip my coffee at the Pryor Café and read the Yellowstone County News or The Billings Gazette amused by some of the headliines and bylines from the area. Kurt, the cook, makes me homemade sausage and plate size pancakes or poached eggs with green chiles. He spoils me with his cooking and light hearted comments which start my day with a smile.

Robin, the clever and cute waitress made me feel at home the first time I walked in the place. She tells me stories about her granddaughter and laughs about life. I’m sure her humor and charisma draws in many customers. I watch the men in cowboy hats or caps and flannel shirts give her hugs. One she calls “grandpa.“ Now that she knows my truck, she has my coffee waiting for me on the counter as I walk in. She’s good at what she does and likes her job. She works hard. Unusual these days.

I listen to the locals banter over politics (primarly based on the support of the far-right conservative and hard for a moderate liberal to tolerate but I listen and try not to comment too often.) As I hear them kid each other about this and that, it’s clear they’ve known each other a long time. There’s a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere where people can joke around without taking themselves too seriously.

I decided to write to the paper about what it’s like being a recent transplant because I know how when you live in a place too long, you sometimes forget the magic of the place and what’s right before your eyes.

I ride my horse most days out at Shepherd Ah Nei. I don’t know what that means in Indian yet, but I mean to find out. The prairie wildflowers are all in full bloom in a full array bright colors and types. Peeking above the tall grasses which ripple in the wind, coyotes pop up their heads and pointy ears before scattering off over hillsides. Antelope (aka speed goats) run along with whitetail deer and away from the horses. Each time I’ve been out I’ve seen a bright blue Indigo Bunting, just one. They’re good luck, my grandmother once told me and rare where I come from.


And the sky, oh yes, The Big Sky, reaching from horizon to horizon with mountains beckoning in the distance. Mares’ tails clouds sweep across the gleaming bright blue and shade the afternoon sun.

My Cowboy and I sit under pines and look down at canyons and up and out at the mountains while birds sing symphonies to us. The song of the meadowlark is unmistakable, sounding like a robin who has had singing lessons.

It’s the kind of beauty that brings a feeling words cannot touch. It’s similar to Great Lake Michigan. You can tell people it’s like a fresh water ocean with real waves and so vast you cannot see across it, but they don’t really get it till they’re there.

The Yellowstone River, higher than ever in history, carries trees downstream by the sheer force of nature. It’s something to behold. Under the water are hidden treasures, agates, which a kindly bearded fisherman told me you find by standing towards the sun so you can see them glint. He found three and gave them to me. I was as excited as the first time I found a geode on the banks of Lake Michigan when I was a little girl.

“Thanks a lot!” I exclaimed. “I like little river pebbles too. I glue them on horseshoes.”
“Well, if you see my truck down here again, stop on down. I have a whole collection of little rocks I’ll give to ya.” Wow, I thought. That’s really nice. I smiled and said, “Bring me rocks and I’ll make you a horseshoe picture frame.”

There’s a real sense of community in Huntley and Shepherd. When I first arrived I had an allergic reaction to bug bites and had to go to emergency. The next door neighbors called and said if I needed anything not to hesitate to ask them. Made my mother and I both feel a lot better knowing somebody was watching out for me, especially being so far away and having just left not so long ago.

The neighbor guys practice roping and offered to let me ride in their arena anytime, even after I got in their way taking pictures and nearly got trampled by a stampeding horse. I found it so exciting to watch. Apparently they are extremely good at it. I notice their oversized heavy silver belt buckles and championship saddles. They teach the younger ones how to rope as well and are patient, understanding, good teachers. I should know. I trained teachers for many years.

Then the other day I stopped into the Huntley Post Office. I had a couple packages to mail and needed some stamps. The woman behind the counter noticed my small purse made of a red cowgirl fabric.

“Where’d you get your purse?” she asked. “It’s really cute.”
“A friend bought it for me in New York City for $4,” I replied, “Can you believe that? I found a neckerchief in Wall City, South Dakota and it cost $15, three times what the purse cost! Go figure.” We laughed, shaking our heads.
“I have a vest of the same fabric,” she offered. “I should mail It to you.”
I thought she was kidding. It was just so nice. I was just a stranger.
“That’d be great,” I said, “I’d love that. Could I pay you for it?”
“No, no” she scoffed. “I’ll send it on to you. I have lots of vests.”

Later that day I recounted the story and found myself wondering what it might be like if the whole world was full of such generously kind people, those who would offer a hand to a complete stranger, or a vest or a box of rocks. I reckon we wouldn’t have so many troubles if that were so.


It simply seems to be the norm in this part of Montana, particularly Shepherd and Huntley. But I also have to mention Shipton’s Big R in downtown Billings where the staff is more than helpful and friendly. Recently a young girl who works there gave me a Cruel Girl special gift assortment intended for those blowing a wad on Cruel Girl clothing. They didn’t have the jeans I wanted but she gave me the gift anyway. Just plain nice of her and rare in these days and tough times.


That same day at the Pryor Café, I met Nancy, the woman who owns the local Trading Post in Huntley. She carriers a remarkable array of goods: clothing, jewelry, antiques and more. I had some decorative horseshoes I’d made for fun and to sell for a bit of pocket money.
Nancy told me she had too much merchandise in her store already but to stop in and sign up for 3 months of free issues of the Yellowstone County Newspaper. She suggested I watch the paper for the Art in the Park and wished me luck selling my “art”. Another good turn and good wishes and one which prompted the writing of this article.


I find it quite remarkable. It seems to be “The Way” here and it’s to be commended. July 25th is National Cowboy Day. Here’s a version of that “Cowboy Code” that seems so engrained here:


An Old Cowboy's Advice
* Keep your fences horse-high, pig-tight & bull-strong.
* Keep skunks & bankers & lawyers at a distance.
* Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.* Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled.
* Meanness don't jes' happen overnight.
* Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.
* Don't corner something that would normally run from you.
* It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge.
* You cannot unsay a cruel word.
* Every path has a few puddles.
* When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.
* The best sermons are lived, not preached.
* Most of the stuff people worry about is never gonna happen anyway.
* Don't judge folks by their relatives.
* Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
* Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.* Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
* Sometimes you get, & sometimes you get got.
* Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
* Always drink upstream from the herd.
* Good judgment comes from experience, & a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
* If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
*A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deer Tractor.
* Live simply.  Love generously.  Care deeply.  Speak kindly.
http://www.elvaquero.com/

Remember: Be glad to live in such a beautiful and warm place in a world where most people just look out for themselves. Think I’ll stay for a spell, if you don’t rightly mind.
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. "Speed goats". Heh!

    Reaction to bug bites, though... what was all that about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edited it. Bug bites. Allergic to flying insects, mosquitoes, bees, etc. Got instant hives from 22 bites. Lots o bugs here. Great place for an entymologist, Dirk. But not a great place for me at dusk.

    Tnanks Jen. That first one was rough and off the top of my head. Now it's edited a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I submitted to both local papers. May be too long but hey, it was fun to write and i'll share it with some of the folks I wrote about. Oughta make them feel good.

    ReplyDelete