Sunday, August 9, 2009

It's just Life Afterall..

Upon my return from Michigan, my horse Gracie had to be taken to vet hospital for 4 days. High fever, high respiratory, refusal to eat, dry and muscousy shit,low white blood cell count.. you get the idea. She nearly died and isn't out of the woods yet. Got her home and she's eating grass but very little grain. Will eat carrots, a bit. Little water. Melancholy horse. Hanging head. Droopy. My baby.

Oh yeah, this post was supposed to be upbeat. She's eating something. That's the good news. Temp is back to normal. Had all other horses checked and they seem o.k.

I have just read an article about horse ulcers as per my neighbor who saw a program on it by happenstance last night. The symptoms match her behavior and the causes could be somewhat aligned...it takes an 11 foot endoscope to detect but is fairly easy to cure but if not, can cause death. So, will talk to vet tomorrow and see what he thinks and if he has the equipment. He's a good, kind, thorough vet who ranches himself and loves his horses and lives and breathes his work. Nice guy with a calm and thoughtful demeanor. Easy to like him and trust his competency. But he was a bit baffled as to what happened to her and what may still be wrong so it's worth a go to discuss. The Internet is a useful tool at times and the source is reliable, scientific based. American Assoc. of Equine Practitioners.

Too much info.? It's just things one learns I'm spouting and I know, preaching to those who know.

Went to see a Trace Adkins concert last night at the Billings Fairgrounds. Rodeo is next week and bull riding. Trace represents much of what draws me to certain people and places. He played my favorite song "You're Gonna Miss This" about a kid leaving home, getting a first apartment, struggling but living their own life for the first time, and feeling that struggle, and the Dad says "yeah, you don't know it but you're gonna miss this." It's a lovely ballad with violin and piano accompaniment. Enjoyed that bit. But I haven't been to a concert in eons. LOUD. The thump was beating in my chest like it was my heartbeat. Weird feeling and no, thank you. And stand up the whole time as everyone in front of you is standing up. I like to sit and listen and then sometimes dance in one spot a bit. And they PUMP smoke, for effect, into the audience. Now, I smoke but this stuff makes me CHOKE. Are they nuts? Just cause it makes some star look more like he would in a smoky bar and add some sort of ambience? Puh!

Moan, moan..I got some water and dealt with it.

People watching in large crowds is always a good diversion.
There was one old grandma in a white knit cap..had to be in her late 80's. Retarded son with her drinking beer and tapping offbeat but thoroughly enjoying himself. Good for ole Mom...Nice thing to do. I think a smaller concert hall would be better for Mom, or grandmother and whomever she was. Someone else had a TINY baby in the front row. Baby's ears will definitely be affected and WHAT are the parents thinking?

So, back at the ranch...

I like to write. It helps. Tom is working on the tractor. I'm sure that helps him.

No comments:

Post a Comment