Friday, July 17, 2009

Bouncing after butterflies and dancing with waterhoses

Sometimes life is just fun and funny if you get on with it. It's damned hot here. How hot is hot? The water coming out of the hose is as hot as a shower you would NOT step into. The faded cedar boards on the deck are too hot to step on barefoot, though I do and just get over it mentally. The temptation to sprinkle one's toes while watering plants leads to pinching back and watering simultaneously and a light showering over the head, enough to partially soak my t-shirt. I start laughing and playing and it becomes one of those wonderful life moments..on a day I didn't wanna walk out there in the 100 plus degrees heat. I have already mucked stalls and cleaned water tanks and fed horses extra hay and put up a new salt block and natural fly spray three times, an apple visit, switch pastures, etc. It's fun stuff, but damned hot and not probably not something most people would like, but I don't mind. Chop wood, carry water, look a horse in the eye...rub your hand over their face and have them nuzzle you.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the young English Springer, Pete, literally springs out the door and starts hopping and dancing and spinning, as he is known to do. Suddenly I look up and he's bouncing with a yellow butterfly and it's flippin hilarious. What a great thing to catch. Like watching a real live Tigger. I laughed out loud.

My plane was cancelled inadvertently and airlines could care less. I am stuck for another 6 days after postponing 10 already due to stupid flu and series of antibiotics. So I make the best of it and watch dogs chase butterflies and play with the hose. It IS summer.

Trala.

Thinking of you out there...my friends.

2 comments:

  1. One thing about Tasmania... if we get three days like that, it's a baaad, hot summer. I don't miss that kind of heat at all. Ate plenty of it in Brisbane, dealt with the endless tropical version when I was growing up. Pfeh!

    I like living without A/C. It irritates me that we need anything more than the small fire in the big wood stove in winter -- small heaters for the children's rooms, and timed heaters that come on just before dawn in the sun room. Other than that, insulation and normal living does the job.

    I like the chill. I have for as long as I can remember. Butterflies are nice; ice is nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Dirk. It's been in the 90's and 100's for over a week and I'm telling you I've never seen so many mosquitoes and so big. They thrive in the heat and with the irrigation ditches running. horrid.

    I want to go home now.2 more days.

    ReplyDelete