Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pause for Breath



Well, sometimes one feels like writing, has time and something to say. Then you have to go life a bit of life fully before returning. And if you get out of the "habit" of writing every day, you're not really writing, you're just playin and spewing, I imagine. That's ok with me. Sorry dear readers, all two of you. Sigh.

I continue to be amazed at the beauty of this new place, this Big Sky Montana that I am beneath.

I audibly comment at the sunrises, sunsets, cloud formations, storms that blow in like an angry Northern Norse God...black and ominous, winds up to 60 mph from zero. Rain that sounds like pitchforks and hammer handles.


And the mosquitoes will carry you off, draw blood through jeans. And oh are they plentiful. I had heard that about Alaska, but had no idea it was like that in Montana. Downside.

The horseback riding is fabulous, early mornings before the heat comes. The smell of sage and pine. The vistas. The birdsong. The attention to the moment, going up and down canyons and crossing steep knolls. My horses are muscled and happy to be out, maybe more than I am. Nah. I'm the one riding.


I go home in two days and will be pleased to be in my own bed. see my friends and family, go to the Big Lake, be HOME home. For a week. Not long enough probably but maybe too long. Never know. I know I like having my very own retreat that is my comfort. Always weird being there without my little dog Abbey though. She's gettin old now.


Here's a pic of a cowboy with his little dog on his tractor. It drew an AWWW, outta me and I grabbed the camera. I see stuff every day here that's indigenous to this area and it's just fun and different, like all places in their own way....

2 comments:

  1. The diversity of terrain in the US... lucky country, there. Australia's diverse too, but we don't have the snowy peaks or the vast, rolling prairies, just to name two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montana is soo big and so few people. Only like less than a million in the whole state. Only 100,000 in Billings and it's the biggest city. And yeah, diverse is right. So many different kinds of terrain and scenery. Plains to mountains to desert like. Not enough water or trees for me though...

    ReplyDelete