Thursday, April 1, 2010

Quiet your Mind and Pay Attention

Ok, so for the past few days, my horse, Chance, who yes,at times can be a bit hard headed, has been refusing to let me bridle him. He even did not want to be haltered. The other day he broke the cross ties, rearing as I tried like I had done a hundred times to put the one ear bridle on. It is however a new one as his old one had worn. Someone else put together the bridle. Mistake number one.

I was mad at Chance. Frustrated. I could not understand his refusal. I believed it was obstinence and alpha struggle. If so, it's not a good thing to let him get away with. But we haven't had that battle for awhile.

We rode in the ring and in the woods last week. He was shaking his head. I figured it was just spring head tossing and glee. Wrong. Mistake 2.

 Finally today, after patienty trying again and again with varying methods and failing with Chance or believing so I realized what it was.

I had taken a leisurely ride on Gracie after working with Chance. Summer like sun warmth. Birds singing and swishing and first tree shoots showing lime.

Driving home aha moment. OMG. The side I was trying to loop the one ear bridle on, is Chance's left. He has lumps in that ear, always has, and it is extremely tender. Have had lumps removed and they came back. He will let me softly rub it, when he trusts me, but it is a serious issue for him. When I rode him the other day, it must have really hurt that ear. Horses remember things for a long time if something isn't right. And horses don't respond well to pain. Me either.

So what'd I learn? Shut up your head and observe and listen quietly. Don't assume. Don't force the issue. Always be gentle. Horses have no language but if you listen to who they are and watch what they do, you will eventually know what they are experiencing. And then there's no need for words..just an intuitive, complex way of knowing. And how frickin special is that?

I love my horses.

If you read this, you already knew that and were willing to tolerate yet another horse story.

I assume you must have an affinity as well, of some sort.

Life's lessons. They're good.

Glad to have the return of bird serenade and a breezy, warm spring day...topped off with some lessons in humility and sensibility.

Alrighty then. Think I got it.

4 comments:

  1. A worthwhile lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many, many lessons. Chance was a perfect gentleman today and I apologized to him again and again. Slow human here..
    Thanks for visiting Kate...we have quite a bit in common: reading, cooking, horses. What's your blog so I can add it to my list...

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reminder to all of us to pay attention. When these things occur with my gelding, I often think it just might be a behavior since he does like to get out of doing things sometimes. But then, I always ask myself if something might be wrong. Glad you got yours figured out. Sounds like you've got a good horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a great horse actually. He just loves to work and he's so big and strong. He gets bored easily. Sometimes he's hard to read. We are STILL after 2 years or more building trust and relationship between us. But he wants to please and is generally a great horse. Super in the mountains. Can run up a mountain at 11,000 feet and then turn around and want to do it again. He's pretty amazing. Pix on right..the tri-color paint...he's quick too!!

    ReplyDelete