Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Puppies and summer storms

So, I finally got my puppy, Rodeo, an English Shepherd, named by 3 year old little girl, Adela Rose. She is the smartest dog I've ever owned and I've owned dogs since I left home at 16. They've all been great dogs, but this one is sooo bright....she's only been here 3 days and knows come, sit, stay, kennel up, more. And she has puppy breath and soft, soft fur and kisses.

I've also had the pleasure of teaching 3 little girls to ride in the last few weeks. They all can now steer and ride bareback on their own....at a trot. Their faces? Priceless. My joy, insurmountable. Never able to have my own children. Love children and animals most of all. The sheer essence of them is pure joy...and wide eyes.

It makes me so happy to be alive.

Tornadoes and storms have been ripping through the area. It's a crap shoot nearly every day. But so far, so good. Like storms if they don't turn to tornadoes. Afterall, who needs tornadoes???

Nothin else really matters..I've been getting things done around here and teaching my pup and just livin and loving. That's what matters.

4 comments:

  1. That whole bunch -- English shepherd, Kelpie and related -- are wildly smart dogs. Too smart. You have to keep them occupied and engaged, or they get flaky.

    Nice temperament, though. And really great with kids, once you can teach the dog to stop jumping up on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she definitely knows the word "no" but she is definitely also starting tobe less timid and get into things. Let the fun begin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got your hands full. But there is a lot of love isn't there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sooo much LOVE, Wildstorm. Yes, yes. Puppies and children make me laugh so freely. Rodeo is so curious and full of it. She pounces and bounces and licks and cuddles and bites with sharp puppy teeth. No, no. She is understanding. She's an uncanny dog, really. She looks you right in the eyes. She cocks her head and ears and listens intently. Sometimes she sleeps through the night but if she needs to go out, I get to see the moon and she lets me know by pouncing on my head. yeah, she sleeps in my bed. But sometimes she jumps down and goes to the cool tile in the bathroom where it's dark and safe. She doesn't like her kennel. But I put her in there for short periods hoping she'll get used to it. Would be a good thing. I try putting toys in there. Food and water she destroys and spills everwhere if I put it in her kennel like a kid throwing a tantrum. She wants to be free. If I leave her alone in the house, she does fine, but I do want her to learn to kennel. First dog I will have ever kenneled but think it would be good if she has to stay somewhere if I am gone or if out horsecamping and riding for a few hours.

    Anyways, yes, quite the project, a puppy. I have done it before but it's been oh, 12 years since my last pup. And I'm older but she makes me feel young with her exuberance and playfulness and cuteness.

    Meanwhile, working horses too and my gelding is being a much better horse this year. He isn't fighting me and trusts me and I him a lot more than last year or the year before. He still tests but not as vehemently or as stubbornly. He did whack my leg against a tree definitely on purpose the other day. That got a quick response from me..hopefully one he remembers.

    But life is good and I am always so happy to be alive. I love my animals, I must say. And nature. Red tailed hawk swooped down close overhead yesterday with full red tail spread. Landed in a tree just above me so I stopped and we said silent hellos for a few minutes. Amazing birds.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete