Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just me, that's all

Well, my friends write blogs for their kids or a real newspaper or their far away lovers and fans. Me? I just write cause it's how I've always cleared the thoughts that linger so I can sleep without them banging against my brain.

Mom's 80th birthday today. She looks great and I'm here to have the time with her and so excited to plan her birthday surprises. Friend, who is like a second daughter to her, flew in from England. Took three months to pay for a personally designed emerald ring, her birthstone and the ring she's always wanted, an emerald. Beautiful, changing colors, faceted stone from South America. Brushed gold setting. Tiny as her fingers are so very small.

Lunch at a private setting. Quiet and nice. Tomato plant, flowering plant, balloon, handmade custard filled chocolate cake...

Mom cannot help but say: "You eat too fast. You did waay too much. You shouldn't do that. The food is too expensive. Oh well, you'll have the ring when I die in a couple years." You get the picture.

She doesn't mean it. I love her so. It used to put me in tears. Now I end up laughing because I know who she is and what to expect and I do what I feel in my heart anyways...I want to give to her like she did me for all my life...when I was young and she was less critical and more naturally loving. I was small...afterall.

So, good day because I've grown and can take it for what it is.

And my friend is here from overseas. And that's nice.
And my new doggie bed came today and is in the bay window awaiting the arrival of my baby pup in a few weeks.

Life is. And I love it.

And I'm in it.

And I am blessed and appreciative.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your mom! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I did the same thing for my gramma on her 90th birthday--bought her rubies. She never had rubies and always wanted one. So I bought earrings and a matching pendent--a set. And yes, she said I'd get them when she died. I just wanted her to have them. Looking forward to photos of your new pup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Birthdays and new pups... cool! That ring sounds gorgeous. I didn't know there were colour-change emeralds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it doesn't actually "change" color, as such, but the facets shimmer different hues. It's stunning. She of course commented: "oh, you did too much. You shouldn't do that. But oh well, I'll be dead in a couple years so then it will be yours." ACK. But it is pretty and I'm glad I got it for her.

    ReplyDelete