Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Forever

Little dog,
I have always mistyped "dog" and typed "god" first and then have to reverse it. ONLY word I have ever done that with.
 Just did it again. Not sure what's with that but it's consistent enough to notice.

Little dog,
I miss you when I'm eating a toasty cheese and egg sandwich on dry oat bread.
I don't like the crust and you love it so I bend over to hand it to you and you're
Not there.

I forget sometimes.

Little dog,
I miss seein your face in the bay window
When I'd drive up in the truck,
I could see your whole body wagging
You dog talking, not barking
     cause you knew
Nobody likes yappy
Little dogs.

Little dog,
I got your ashes
And opened the cheap metal lid
like a small old time potato chip can.
 There's just small pieces of you,
bone and ash,
in a platic baggy
with a twist tie.

I shouldn't have opened that box.

You're not in there. Not even your spirit.
But I will return you to the garden
And you can play with Duchess and Venice,
my other two dogs.
They're BIG dogs.

You're just a Little Dog,
Resembling a stuffed toy at times.
But tough.

Rippin coons down off trees or cornering them under the deck
making  me crawl under there as backup
and then getting even more brave..
And you always won, you tough little shit.
But you worried me with your Big Dog attitude.

You're a bit like me I guess.

Yeah, I surely do miss you,
Little Dog.

I put plants on the windowsill along with your tin.

Forever, Little Dog is a very long time.

From the person who loved you most.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Ginny. I am so sad about Abbey. She was such a sweet dog and you loved each other so very much.

    Dogs are the BESTEST of friends...

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babysitting a little 2 month old dog named Boo Boo. Little Chihuahua but not a yippy snippy one, like so many. Sweet little guy but not my Abbey girl, of course.

    Thanks for the comment and sentiment.

    ReplyDelete